• May 23, Mission Miles 5K Trail Run: The 5K Run begins at 6 p.m. at The Sally’s YMCA, 1601 Forney Creek Pkwy., Denver. Registration costs $20 for YMCA members and $25 for others. Register online or race day. Proceeds benefit the Lincoln County Y Readers program. Details: www.ymcacharlotte.org/branches/sallys/socialresp/events/5ktrailrun.aspx.
• May 24, Belmont Classic 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run: The 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run begin at 8 a.m. at the Belmont Police Department, 200 N. Main St. Registration costs $20 for adults and $15 for kids 13 & older. The event raises money to buy items for the police department not covered under the budget. Details: http://www.sportoften.com/events/eventDetails.cfm?pEventId=12887.
• June 7, Clean Air Carolina 5K Run & Walk: The fifth annual event takes place at 8 a.m. at Historic Rural Hill Nature Preserve, 4431 Neck Road, Huntersville. Registration costs $25 May 23-June 6 or $30 on race day. The event benefits Clean Air Carolina, a nonprofit working for clean air in the Charlotte region. Details: www.cleanaircarolina.org.
• June 12, River Jam Run: Run in a 3-mile or 6-mile course at 6:15 p.m. at the U.S. National Whitewater Center, 5000 Whitewater Center Pkwy., Charlotte. Advance registration costs $10 online and $15 on race day. T-shirts cost extra. Details: www.usnwc.org.
• June 21, SHAPE Diva Dash: The SHAPE Diva Dash 5K-obstacle run starts off in waves 9-10:45 a.m. June 21 at Riverbend Farm, 12150 McManus Road, Midland. The all-women run features a 5K course and a dozen obstacles designed to test speed, strength and agility. The event is open to girls ages 8 and older. Register at www.DivaDash.com.
• May 31, 3-on-3 Blacktop Challenge: The Town of Huntersville hosts an outdoor 3-on-3 basketball tournament at North Meck Park, 16131 Old Statesville Road, Huntersville. The tournament includes several age groups, ranging from third grade to 50 and older. Proceeds go to Access to Success and Pro Skills Basketball Select. Details: www.proskillsbasketball.com.
• May 31-June 29, 2014 Powerade State Games of NC: Youth, high school and adult athletes can register for baseball, basketball, BMX, disc golf, fencing, figure skating, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, karate, lacrosse, rugby, shooting, soccer, softball, swimming, taekwondo, track and wrestling. Tournaments are held throughout the Charlotte region. Details: http://pag.ncsports.org.
• May 18, Intro to Paddleboarding: Cornelius Parks, Arts, Recreation and Culture partners with Aloha Paddle Sports and Fitness to offer one-day Intro to Paddleboarding classes 3:30-5:30 p.m. June 1, 15 and 29, July 13 and 27, Aug. 10 and 24 and Sept. 7 and 21 at Ramsey Creek Park, 18441 Nantz Road, Cornelius. Ages 8 and older. A parent or guardian must accompany children, ages 8-11. The fee per class is $35 for Cornelius residents and $40 for others. Details: 704-892-6031, ext. 188.
• May 31, Senior Pickleball Tournament: Cornelius Parks, Arts, Recreation and Culture hosts a senior pickleball tournament 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at J.V. Washam Recreation Center, 9611 Westmoreland Road, Cornelius. The tournament is open to participants ages 50 and older and limited to the first 24 pairs in each category (men's doubles, women's doubles and mixed doubles). Registration costs $5 per person. Advance registration ends May 29. Details: www.cornelius.org/parc or 704-892-6031 ext. 188.
• May 24, Adult Sailing Classes: Cornelius Parks, Arts, Recreation and Culture partners with North Carolina Community Sailing and Rowing to offer new two-day adult sailing classes 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. May 24-25, June 28-29, July 19-20 and Aug. 9-10 at Blythe Landing, 15901 N.C. 73, Huntersville. Each two-day class costs $150. Details: www.cornelius.org/parc or 704-892-6031, ext. 188.
• May 25, HFFA Kids Triathlon Series: The race begins at 2 p.m. at the Huntersville Family Fitness & Aquatics Center, 11725 Verhoeff Drive, Huntersville. Register online costs $25 in advance and $30 on race days. Registration closes three days before the event. Details: www.jonesracingcompany.com/hffa-kids-tri/.