DAVIDSON – Many people are surprised when they walk into Lake Norman Publications and see how efficient our small newsroom is at churning out three weeklies and two monthlies.
Interns have proven to be extremely valuable. They help us compile listings, write stories and build infrastructure.
Sarah Obeid interned with Lake Norman Publications during the spring semester. The UNC Charlotte grad did such a good job that we hired her this month to write about Huntersville issues for The Herald Weekly.
We also hired Josh Carpenter after a successful summer internship in 2010. The UNCC graduate now writes for Charlotte-based SportsBusiness Daily Journal.
Other interns have gone on to pursue careers in journalism.
Alyssa Lang, a North Mecklenburg High alum, interned with us in summer 2012. The University of South Carolina grad now works as a sports reporter and anchor at News 19 WLTX in Columbia, S.C.
Lauren Baheri writes about public safety issues for The Gaston Gazette, a daily newspaper in Gastonia. She interned at our offices when she attended UNCC in 2011.
We want to recognize interns who have helped us this semester. Regardless of their educational and career pursuits, we thank them for their work and value their contributions to our team.
Natalie Brenner, 19
• From: Huntersville.
• School: N.C. State University.
• Major: Communication.
• Interests: Fashion, food, entertainment.
• Career plans: I hope to be journalist or reporter for a TV station.
• Favorite publication: People.
• What brought you to this internship: I saw the ad in the local paper and thought it would be a great experience and start to my career in journalism.
Emmanuel Morgan, 17
• From: San Diego, Calif.
• School: SouthLake Christian Academy.
• Interests: Wrestling, writing, lifting weights.
• Career plans: I either want to be a sports writer or a lawyer.
• Favorite publication: Sports Illustrated.
• What brought you to this internship: A friend's reference.
Madison Siegfried, 16
• From: Mooresville.
• School: Lake Norman High School.
• Interests: Writing, reading, poetry, travel, attending museums and plays.
• Career plans: Considering careers in chemistry and finance.
• Favorite publication: Mooresville Weekly.
• What brought you to this internship: My love for writing and desire to inform the community about my school and teenage issues.