Ties, socks, shirts and underwear have become staple gifts for dad at Father’s Day. Consider getting dad out of the house the next time you see him and creating a memory you’ll share forever. Here are some ideas:
1. Children read a book about fathers and create a story about their dads at 2 p.m. June 16 at Discovery Place KIDS, 105 Gilead Road, Huntersville. Admission costs $8. Children younger than 1 year old get in free.
2. Throw on a bowling shirt and head to George Pappas Victory Lanes in Mooresville or Northcross Lanes in Huntersville. Both bowling alleys offer musical entertainment, depending on when you go.
3. Throw dad a curve ball by taking him out to a Minor League Baseball game. Check out the Kannapolis Intimidators (A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox), Hickory Crawdads (A affiliate of the Texas Rangers) or Charlotte Knights (AAA affiliate of Chicago White Sox).
4. Consider playing 18 holes at one of Lake Norman’s many golf courses, including Verdict Ridge Golf & Country Club in Denver; Birkdale Golf Club, Northstone Country Club and Skybrook Golf Courses in Huntersville; or Mallard Head Country Club and Mooresville Municipal Golf Course in Mooresville.
5. Watch the Superman reboot “Man of Steel” or other films at a movie theater. Try Our Town Cinemas in Davidson, Regal Cinemas Birkdale Stadium 16 in Huntersville or AmStar 14 Cinema in Mooresville.
6. Learn how to shoot a gun or fire off a few rounds at ammunition at five-star facilities: The Range of Lake Norman in Cornelius and Point Blank Range in Mooresville.
7. Take a boat out on the water and get sage advice from a fishing guide like Capt. Gus Gustafson. He operates Fishing with Gus/Lake Norman Ventures in Sherrills Ford.
8. Tour the race shops of some of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series’ most dominant teams, such as Joe Gibbs Racing in Huntersville, Michael Waltrip Racing in Cornelius and Penske Racing in Mooresville.
9. Catch the NBA Finals and NHL Stanley Cup Finals at one of the region’s many sports bars, such as Hickory Tavern in Huntersville and Mooresville; Sports Page Food & Spirits in Denver and Mooresville; and Taco Mac Sports Grill in Huntersville.
10. Rent and ride go-karts outdoors at the Mooresville Motorplex or indoors at The Pit Indoor Kart Racing in Mooresville. The Pit also has arcade games, laser tag and a rock climbing wall.
The 411: How to reach these companies
• AmStar 14 Cinema: 704-799-7827.
• Birkdale Golf Club: 704-895-8038.
• Charlotte Knights: 704-357-8071.
• Discovery Place Kids: 704-372-6261.
• Fishing with Gus/Lake Norman Ventures: 704-617-6812.
• George Pappas Victory Lanes: 704-664-2695.
• Hickory Crawdads: 828-322-3000.
• Hickory Tavern (Huntersville): 704-897-8490.
• Hickory Tavern (Mooresville): 704-660-9793.
• Joe Gibbs Racing: 704-944-5000.
• Kannapolis Intmidators: 704-932-3267.
• Mallard Head Country Club: 704-664-7031.
• Michael Waltrip Racing: 704-655-9550.
• Mooresville Motorplex: 704-696-2926.
• Mooresville Municipal Golf Course: 704-663-2539.
• Northcross Lanes: 704-892-7177.
• Northstone Country Club: 704-948-4286.
• Our Town Cinemas: 704-237-3226.
• Penske Racing: 704-799-7178.
• Point Blank Range: 704-230-0262.
• Regal Cinemas Birkdale Stadium 16: 704-895-7997.
• Skybrook Golf Course: 704-948-6611.
• Sports Page Food & Spirits (Denver): 704-827-6283.
• Sports Page Food & Spirits (Mooresville): 704-662-8851.
• Taco Mac Sports Grill: 704-897-1315.
• The Pit Indoor Kart Racing: 704-799-3470.
• The Range at Lake Norman: 704-895-3155.
• Verdict Ridge Golf & Country Club: 704-257-0100.