Enjoy fun summer events on Lake Norman
The summer sun is hot, but Lake Norman is always cool! Check out the events that are happening on and around the lake this summer as Lake Norman celebrates its 50th Anniversary.
• Carolina Coach and Marine Monday Night Tournament Series, Mooresville: Midway Marina. This series began on March 4. Participants must fish in 16 of the 32 events in order to qualify for the final Fish Off. For more information go to teamprobass.com and click on “Tournaments.”
• Denver Marine Thursday Night Monster Bass Trail, Denver: Thursdays, 6:30-11 p.m. Tournament began on March 14. Tournaments held the first three Thursdays of each month. Cash prizes. If you have questions, call 704-483-2628.
• 50th Anniversary Events: A calendar of 50 events coming soon at visitlakenorman.org
• April 27 – 28, Oakley Big Bass Tour – Tony Stewart Big Bass Classic, Huntersville: Held at Blythe Landing. Register April 25 from 4-7 p.m. at Bass Pro Shops in Concord or April 26 from noon-7 p.m. at Queen’s Landing, 1459 River Hwy., Mooresville.
• May 4, Eighth Annual Dragon Boat Festival, Cornelius: Ramsey Creek Park. This boat race, which originated more than 2,300 years ago in the rivers of southern China, is open to anyone 15 years or older.
• May 16, Business After Hours: Duke Energy’s McGuire Nuclear Station hosts the biggest networking event of the year, with members from the Lincolnton-Lincoln County, Mooresville-South Iredell and Lake Norman chambers of commerce. Members enjoy free food from local restaurants and cruses on the lake. Event takes place from 5-7 p.m. For more information, call 98-875-5600.
• May 25-27, Discover Sailing Weekend, Mooresville: Lake Norman Yacht Club. Register by emailing email@example.com. Visit www.lakenormanyachtclub.com for more information.
• May 30-June 1, King of Wake competition: The 2013 MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour comes to Lake Norman for a nationally televised competition. Tickets cost $7 online or $13 at the event. Find more information online at www.kingofwake.com.
• June 6-7, Independence Day Regatta, Mooresville: The two-day regatta is open to the public and held by the Lake Norman Yacht Club. Online registration ends July 3 at 6 p.m. Early registration, with reduced entry fees, ends June 25. Visit www.lakenormanyachtclub.com for more information.
• June 22, Charlotte Symphony Concert at McGuire Nuclear Station, Huntersville: Concert-goers are encouraged to pack a picnic lunch. Boaters may anchor in the Energy Emporium cove at the southern tip of Lake Norman. Snacks will be available for purchase and will support East Lincoln High School’s Band Booster Club. This event is free and open to the public.
• June 22, Learn to Ski with Lake Norman Ski Club, Mooresville: Bring $25 and a towel and safely learn to water ski. All instructors are Water Ski Certified. Ski club is located at 643 Williamson Road, Mooresville.
• June 22, Catawba River Keepers 50th Anniversary of Lake Norman: Bluegrass and family activity from 4 p.m.-midnight. Visit www.catawbariverkeeper.org for more information
• June 29, Bassmaster Weekend Series, Terrell: Held at Midway Marina, 8693 N.C. 150 E., Terrell.
• June 29, Fishers of Men, Carolina Piedmont Division, Mooresville: McCrary Creek Access. Reduced entry fee this year. Cash payout prizes. Go to www.fomntt.com for more details.
• July 13-19, Flying Scot North American Championships, Mooresville: Lake Norman Yacht Club. All day.
• July 26, Movies at McGuire: Enjoy a movie on a large outdoor movie screen from the lawn or from your boat at Duke Energy’s McGuire Nuclear Station. Refreshments will be available to buy. Movie begins at dark, around 8:50. For more information, call 98-875-5600.
• July 27, Learn to Ski with Lake Norman Ski Club, Mooresville: Bring $25 and a towel and safely learn to water ski. All instructors are Water Ski Certified.
• August 23, Movies at McGuire: Enjoy a movie on a large outdoor movie screen from the lawn or from your boat at Duke Energy’s McGuire Nuclear Station. Refreshments will be available to buy. Movie begins at dark, around 8:30. For more information, call 98-875-5600.
• August 31, Labor Day Regatta, Mooresville: The annual sailing event will be held at the Lake Norman Yacht Club. Visit www.lakenormanyachtclub.com for more information.