“We are privileged to share the town with its many wonderful residents and we are honored to have a place for our college store on Main Street,” Quillen said. “I hope that the stores comes to represent many opportunities for our students to cross the street and for town residents to cross the street. So that together we form one community stronger for the things we bring to each other.”
The store will sell textbooks and college supplies as well as Davidson Wildcat clothing, gear and accessories. he store will open 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays.
Musicians stop in Davidson during tour
On Sept. 29 at 8 p.m., Davidson College Friends of the Arts, Smith Artists Series and Concert Series will be hosting a performance by musicians Daniel Bernard Roumain and Laurelyn Dossett as a part of their Connection Crossroads in North Carolina tour. The concert will take place in the Duke Family Performance Hall in the Knobloch Campus Center on campus and will feature collaborative works with the Davidson College Music Department’s student ensembles.’
‘Half the Sky’ documentary premieres
On Oct. 1, Nicholas Kristof, a two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize for journalism, will show his documentary, “Half The Sky” at the Knobloch Campus Center Alvarez- Smith 900 Room from 8:30-10:30 p.m.
Filmed in 10 countries, the film follows Kristof and his wife Sheryl WuDunn, along with celebrity activists America Ferrera, Diane Lane, Eva Mendes, Meg Ryan, Gabrielle Union and Olivia Wilde as they tell the stories of global oppression and meaningful solutions to these issues through advancing health care, education, and economic empowerment for women.
College holds memorial for professor
The Davidson College Music Department is holding a memorial on Sept. 30 to celebrate the life of Davidson music professor and pianist Ruskin Cooper. The commemoration will begin at 3 p.m. in the Tyler-Tallman Hall of the Sloan Music Center, featuring performances and tributes to Cooper.
Upcoming athletic events
• Men’s soccer vs. Elon (7 p.m.)
• Women’s soccer at Western Carolina (7 p.m.)
• Field hockey at Radford (7 p.m.)
• Women’s Cross Country at Charlotte Invitational (all day)
• Men’s cross country at Charlotte Invitational (all day)
• Football vs. Presbyterian (6 p.m.)
• Volleyball vs. The Citadel (2 p.m.)
• Women’s soccer at Appalachian State (2 p.m.)
• Volleyball vs. College of Charleston (2 p.m.)
• Field hockey vs. Appalachian State (6:30 p.m.)
• Men’s soccer vs. Wake Forest (7 p.m.)
• Women’s soccer at The Citadel (4 p.m.)