On Sept. 19 and 26 residents should put out their old bins to be collected by the town's solid waste contractors, Republic Waste Services. Residents will be given a new black 96-gallon garbage car and a red 96-gallon recycling bin.
Many residents will see a change to their pick-up schedule as the town will implement a four-day schedule, Monday through Thursday.
The town provided a list of frequently asked questions which are listed below. For more information including a map and list of when to expect pick-up in your neighborhood you can go to www.townofdavidson.org/GarbageSchedule or call Public Works and Project Manager Doug Wright at 704-940-9625.
What are the changes? In the fall of 2012, the town will be making the following changes to the solid waste collection program:
- The red and blue 18-gallon recycle bins will be replaced with a red 96-gallon recycle rollout cart, identical, except for color, to the current garbage cart
- Garbage and yard waste will be collected every week
- The new 96-gallon recycle cart will be collected every other week
- New garbage rollout carts will be delivered, and old garbage rollout carts will be collected. The town will no longer collect solid waste from old carts.
- Garbage, recycling, and yard waste will be collected on a 4-day schedule, Monday-Thursday. Please look at the attached map to determine your collection day. (For example, Wednesday is collection day for the River Run neighborhood -- garbage and yard waste can be set out every Wednesday, and recyclables set out every other Wednesday). Attached please find an alphabetical listing by street name, indicating collection days for all areas of town.
- The town is no longer collecting appliances. These should be hauled to the North Mecklenburg Recycling Center on Hwy 21 (Statesville Rd) in Huntersville.
Why is the town making these changes?
- Bi-Weekly Recycle Cart: The waste collection industry is moving toward automated collection of recyclables. As other municipalities have converted from 18-gallon recycle bins to 96-gallon recycle carts,recycling participation has universally increased. In 2011, Davidson’srecycle participation rate was 13% of the total waste tonnage produced. We have set a goal of 20% for 2015, and see this change as an essential part of that effort.
- 4-Day Collection Route: The town’s waste vendor, Republic Waste Services, will have equipment operating in town 4 days each week. This will allow us to better rectify any missed collections or customer requests.
Where do I store my new recycle cart? Accommodating an additional 96-gallon container will be harder for some property owners than others. Residents in townhomes, utilizing “corrals” to hide containers, may want to consider replacing 20% of those garbage containers with recycle containers. Residents in multi-family complexes, utilizing dumpsters, will be provided with 2 recycle carts per dumpster. Most residents will want to keep one red bin to use inside their house, and to convey recycles to the cart outside. Residents of the City of Charlotte and the Towns of Huntersville and Cornelius have all made this change successfully.
What if I lose track of which week is recycle pick-up week? The town will provide a postcard calendar showing recycle pick-up weeks. Information is also on the town’s website at www.townofdavidson.org/GarbageSchedule.
When will the changes take place? Old carts will be collected and new carts delivered on September 19 and 26. The week of October 1 will be the firstrecycling week.