Davidson tragedy prompts Positive Prevention Program
by Staff Writer
Since the deaths of Ray Harrington of Davidson in March 2012 and 9-year-old Nikko’Las Pinkney of Huntersville in October 2011, the fire department has received an increase in calls for information about carbon monoxide and its effects.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. It is found in combustion fumes like those produced by cars and trucks, small gas engines, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, heating systems and the burning of charcoal and wood.
The Davidson Fire Department will help install detectors, including those being handed out in connection with Nikko’s Smiling Heart Foundation.
Margaretha Pinkney started Nikko’s Smiling Heart Foundation in honor of her son, with the mission of making sure every home has a smoke and carbon monoxide detector, and has partnered with the Ada Jenkins Center for distribution.
To arrange a free detector inspection or installation of free detectors, contact the Davidson fire station at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-940-9624.