HUNTERSVILLE – North Mecklenburg High wrestling coach Sean
Finkbeiner resigned July 24 to take a coaching job at Athens Drive High in Raleigh. He coached the past two years at North Meck, and was Hopewell High’s wrestling coach from 2001-07.
Finkbeiner told North Mecklenburg’s wrestlers about his decision July 24.
Copperheads eliminated from playoffs
HUNTERSVILLE – The Lake Norman Copperheads lost 4-3 to the Carolina Chaos in the first round of the Southern Collegiate Baseball League playoffs on July 23, and were eliminated.
The Copperheads finished with a 17-21 record after rallying from a midseason 11-game losing streak.
Daniel Whitecavage, a Hopewell High alum who signed to play at St.
Andrews University, was the Copperheads’ top hitter. He was second in the league in batting average (.374), tied for second in home runs (five) and tied for the lead in RBIs (33).
Discounted physicals for HYAA families
HUNTERSVILLE – Vista Health & Wellness, a family medical practice at 16600 Birkdale Commons Pkwy., Suite E, is offering sports physicals at a discounted rate of $20 through Labor Day for families participating in the Huntersville Youth Athletic Association.
Heather Stamey, a nurse practitioner, will offer physicals from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, by appointment. Call 704-896-8680.
Comets offer softball tryouts, camp
MOORESVILLE – Tryouts for the Carolina Comets softball team are Saturday, Aug. 4 at Lake Norman High School.
The rain date is Sunday, Aug. 5.
The Comets are adding a 16-under Elite team and a 23-under team for players attending college in 2012 and 2013.
The tryout schedule, with team contacts:
• Comets 14 and under: 8-10 a.m. John Sherill at email@example.com or Chris Nozet at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Comets 12 and under: 10 a.m.-noon. Chuck Landis at email@example.com or Ashley Kelly at ak1
• Comets 10 and under: Noon-2 p.m. Chris Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org or Barry McDonald at barry.
• Comets 8 and under: Noon-2 p.m. Barry McDonald at email@example.com.
• Comets 16 and under Elite: 2-4 p.m. Roger McGuffey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Comets 16 and under and Comets 18-under: 2-4 p.m. Roger McGuffey at email@example.com.
• Also, the Carolina Comets Summer Camp for rising first- through 10th-graders will be Monday, July 30-Aug. 3. Players in grades 1-5 will participate from 8 a.m. to noon, and players in grades 6-10 will compete 1-5 p.m. daily. All campers will receive a T-shirt. The Comets Gold 18-under coaching staff and players will host the camp. Cost is $85. Register online at mooresvillerecreation.org or call Roger McGuffey at 704-236-7428.
Davidson women’s basketball to play North Carolina in NIT
DAVIDSON – The Davidson women’s basketball team drew North Carolina in the first round of the 2012 Preseason Women’s National Invitational Tournament. The teams will play at 7 p.m. Nov. 9 in Chapel Hill.
Davidson, the co-defending regular season Southern Conference champions, is 0-3 all time against North Carolina. The Tar Heels went 20-11 last season and have won four of the last eight ACC titles.
Davidson (22-10) had one of its best seasons during head coach Michele Savage’s second year. The 22 wins were one off the school record. Savage was named the conference coach of the year.
– Compiled by Cliff Mehrtens