School Notes for Aug. 5
by Staff Writer
• J.M. Alexander Middle: The school hosts a back-to-school county fair and family social to welcome new Davidson I.B. Middle students, rising sixth-graders and returning J.M. Alexander students on Aug. 13 from 4:30 to 8 p.m. on the school’s athletic field.
• Bradley Middle: Spaces are still available in this year’s sixth-grade orchestra class. The class offers instruction in violin, viola, cello and bass. For more information, email Kristene Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cannon School: The new school year begins Aug. 15. … The lower school holds back-to-school night Aug. 18 from 6 to 8 p.m. in Taylor Hall.
• Community School of Davidson: The school hosts an ice cream social fundraiser Aug. 11 from 6 to 8 p.m. on the school’s playground and front field. … Classes for all grades except kindergarten begin Aug. 22. … Staggered entry for kindergarten students begins Aug. 23. Kindergartners attend their first full day Aug. 26.
• Cornelius Elementary: The school sends out “welcome letters” Aug. 18.
• Davidson Day School: Class begins for fifth through 12th grades Aug. 15. … Students in kindergarten through fourth grade begin classes Aug. 16.
• Grace Covenant Academy: The school kicks off the sale of its Attraction Value & Dining Guide Aug. 18. … Elementary school students return to class Aug. 22. … Pre-kindergartners and 3-year-olds start school Aug. 23.
• Hough High: …All Hough High School Marching Band students begin band camp Friday, Aug. 5. The band will give a preview performance for parents, friends and the community Aug. 12 from 5 to 6 p.m. Find details and updates at the band’s website, www.houghhsband.org. … The school’s athletic booster club meets Saturday, Aug. 6, at 10:30 a.m. in the school’s gymnasium. A fall sports meeting follows at 11 a.m. in the auditorium. … The school hosts a campus beautification day Aug. 13 from 8 to 10 a.m. The school needs volunteers to help get the grounds ready for the first day. Dress for outdoor jobs. … The football team plays a scrimmage game Aug. 13 from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Lake Norman Charter: The school takes senior makeup pictures Aug. 11. … The school holds an information social for incoming ninth-grade parents Aug. 14 at 3 p.m. … Classes start Aug. 17.
• Lake Norman Christian: Classes begin Aug. 22.
• McKinney Academy: The school holds a Grounds Extreme Makeover Morning on Aug. 13 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The school welcomes volunteers to help clean up the grounds. … School begins Aug. 16.
• North Mecklenburg High: The North Mecklenburg High School Marching Band holds band camp Monday to Friday, Aug. 8 to 12, from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Band Director James Leatherwood also will hold a question-and-answer session for parents Aug. 11 at 6 p.m. Students interested in participating in band should contact Leatherwood at the school. … Student-athletes and their parents are required to attend a meeting Aug. 14 at 5 p.m. at the school.
• Phoenix Montessori Academy: Classes begin Aug. 24.
• Woodlawn School: Classes begin Aug. 29.