5 Cornelius incumbents file together for re-election
by Staff Writer
According to a joint news release, incumbent Commissioner Dave Gilroy also is seeking re-election, but he was out of town Friday and had not filed as of Wednesday, July 7. Commissioner Jim Bensman is not seeking a fifth term on the board, leaving one open commissioner seat.
In the joint release, the incumbents cited a number of achievements of the current board:
• Approving a 2011-12 budget with the lowest tax rate in the state for any town equal to or larger than Cornelius.
• Securing a AAA Bond rating,
• Initiating an ongoing “citizen-inclusive” Comprehensive Master Plan.
• Working with residents and business owners to revise the town’s sign ordinance and initiating the town’s first wayfinding sign program.
• Leading the effort to raise money for a Veterans Monument, which is now under construction next to Cornelius Town Hall.
• Partnering with Huntersville, Davidson and the county to provide for the area’s first victim’s advocate to work with victims of domestic abuse and/or sexual assault.
• Instituting performance audits of town departments.
“We are not running as a slate, but I am very comfortable with us all seeking re-election, especially considering the accomplishments of the last two years not to mention the camaraderie that has emerged among the current board,” Tarte said in the news release. The incumbents say they want the opportunity to:
• Implement citizen recommendations through the Comprehensive Master Plan.
• Work with the N.C. Department of Transportation to install an innovative Diverging Diamond interchange at Interstate 77 and Catawba Avenue.
• Make improvements to the intersections of U.S. 21 and Torrence Chapel Road on each side of that interstate interchange, often referred to as the interchange’s “bookends.”
• Move forward on the widening of I-77 and develop a plan for re-development of the area on both sides of the I-77-Catawba Avenue intersection.
Here’s how to contact the candidates:
• Tarte, of 17216 Belle Isle Drive, 704-907-1421 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Rinker, of 19700 Swiss Stone Lane, email@example.com.
• Ross, of 19907 Burton Lane, 704- 968-5876 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Travis, 17805 Mollypop Lane, 704-905-2980 or email@example.com.