School Notes for July 15
by Staff Writer
• Bailey Middle: Open house for the new school year is Aug. 22.
• Blythe Elementary: Parents and students should continue to log their daily summer reading minutes for the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge: Read for the World Record at www.scholastic.com/summer. Blythe Elementary will be listed in the Scholastic Book of World Records if it is one of the top 20 schools nationwide to help break the Scholastic reading record of 52 million minutes. … The school holds an open house for the 2011-12 school year Aug. 23.
• Bradley Middle: Back-to-School open house is Aug. 23.
• Cannon School: New student orientation is Aug. 12. … The 2011-12 school year begins Aug. 15. … Lower School back-to-school night is Aug. 18.
• Davidson Day: The school holds a picnic for new Davidson Day families Aug. 1 from 4 to 7 p.m. …Orientation is Aug. 10, 9 to 10:30 a.m. for toddlers and kindergarteners and 5 to 6:30 p.m. for first- through sixth-graders. …The school distributes laptops on Aug. 11 to 10th- through 12th-graders 9 to 10:30 a.m. and seventh- through ninth-graders from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. … The first day of school is Aug. 15 for the fifth through 12th grades and Aug. 16 for kindergarten through fourth grades.
• Grace Covenant Academy: The school holds elementary school orientation Aug. 18 at 6:30 p.m. and pre-kindergarten orientation Aug. 19 at 10:30 a.m. …The first day of school is Aug. 22 for elementary school students and Aug. 23 for preschoolers.
• Hough High: The school’s second summer session runs from July 11 to 26.
• J. M. Alexander Middle: The school holds a Country Fair and Family Social to welcome students back to school Aug. 13 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the J.M Alexander Sports Field. All J.M. Alexander families, including students, parents and siblings, are welcome. Events and activities are free, but donations for new school supplies will be accepted.
• J.V. Washam Elementary: An informal open house for the new school year is Aug. 22. Parents of kindergarteners, second- and fourth-graders should attend from 4 to 5:30 p.m., while first, third and fifth grade parents should attend from 5 to 6:30 p.m. This is an opportunity to informally visit the school and classrooms. A more formal open house will be held in September. The school encourages families to carpool due to parking concerns.
• Lake Norman Charter: The Lake Norman Charter board meets Thursday, July 14, at the middle school media center at 7 p.m. … Lake Norman Charter is accepting nominations and applications for two positions on the Lake Norman Charter Board of Directors. Interested candidates may email Cathy Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application/nomination form.
• McKinney Academy: The school holds back-to-school open house Aug. 15 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Families of new students should arrive at 5:30 p.m. for an overview of frequently asked questions, while returning families should arrive at 5:45 p.m. …The first day of school is Aug. 16. The first and second days will be half days. … A required elementary school parent orientation meeting is Aug. 25 at 6:30 p.m.
• North Mecklenburg High: Fall sports tryouts run from July 30 to Aug. 17. … A required student athlete/parent meeting is Aug. 14.
• Phoenix Montessori: The school holds a parent orientation meeting and open ceremonies Aug. 18 at 6:30 p.m. … The first day of school is Aug. 24.
• Woodlawn School: The first day of school is Aug. 29.