Following the Board of Education’s vote last week, area middle and elementary schools may see shifts of 15 to 90 minutes in their bell schedules next year. The change in bell schedules could save the district about $4 million by allowing for more efficient use of bussing.
“While the proposed bell schedule establishes the framework for the new bell tiers and a seven-hour day for all elementary schools, it is still subject to change pending further Board decisions throughout the budget process,” Executive Director of Transportation Carol Stamper said. “The steps we’re taking in transportation to save money are one part of a complex, interdependent process.”
While the bell schedules are not confirmed, families making decisions about transportation needs for the coming year should use the proposed bell schedule as a guide but be mindful that there may be additional changes, Stamper said.
The proposed bell schedules for area schools are as follows:
• J.M. Alexander Middle: 9:15 to 4:15
• Bailey Middle: 9:15 to 4:15
• Barnette Elementary: 7:45 to 2:45
• Cornelius Elementary: 8:45 to 3:45
• Davidson Elementary: 8:45 to 3:45
• Bradley Middle: 9:15 to 4:15
• Huntersville Elementary: 7:45 to 2:45
• J.V. Washam Elementary: 7:45 to 2:45
• Blythe Elementary: 8:00 to 3:00
• Long Creek Elementary: 8:00 to 3:00
• Torrence Creek Elementary: 8:15 to 3:15