Cornelius Elementary teaches about the importance of college
by Staff Writer
• Monday, Dec. 5: Each classroom decorates their doors with memorabilia from their teacher’s undergraduate or graduate university or college. Each door will display the name, location, number of students enrolled, private or public status, mascot and other details about each school.
• Tuesday, Dec. 6: Students learn the steps to being admitted to college, including graduating elementary, middle and high school. Students will trace their shoes, cut the outline out and draw a picture of themselves graduating middle and high school. Students should wear Cornelius Elementary shirts and colors.
• Wednesday, Dec. 7: Students learn how college can lead to a brighter future. They should bring sunglasses and/or college hats to wear during dismissal and recess.
• Thursday, Dec. 8: Students learn about different careers that require a college degree. Each student is invited to dress up as their future career choice.
• Friday, Dec. 9: Each student should wear a college T-shirt or sweatshirts. Students who also bring in a college pennant, poster or other paraphernalia before the week begins may wear jeans.
Throughout the week, teachers also will tie in lesson plans to the week’s theme.