Protect yourself against the flu
by Staff Writer
Here are 10 ways to fight the flu:
• Get a flu shot each year. The flu vaccine is recommended for people 6 months and older. The Mecklenburg County Health Department has flu vaccines available by appointment by calling 704-336-6500. They cost $30 for residents 6-months of age and older, $40 for high dose flu shots for those 65 years of age and older to generate a stronger immunity against the flu and $35 for flu mist for residents ages 2 to 49 years of age who have no medical problems and are not pregnant.
• Wash your hands. Do it often and do it well by using water and scrubbing with soap for at least 20 seconds. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
• Cover your coughs and sneezes. Use a tissue or your upper sleeve – not your hands.
• Clean and sanitize often to kill the flu virus on surfaces. Be sure to follow the directions of the cleaning product.
• Stay healthy and well by eating healthy food, getting enough rest, drinking water and exercising.
• Try to stay away from others that are sick. If a member of your household is sick, wash your hands often.
• Don’t share items such as toothbrushes, cups, straws, towels or silverware.
• Stay home if you are sick and follow your healthcare provider’s instructions.
• Be prepared for the flu by stocking up on items now, while you are well, that you may need when you are sick, so you do not have to go out of the house.
The flu season generally lasts from October to March, with the highest rates of flu happening in January and February. Prepare yourself now to protect yourself this flu season.
For more information visit www.charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/HealthDepartment/Pages/Default.aspx
– Mecklenburg County