North Mecklenburg High Debate and Speech team places third in Waxhaw
by Staff Writer
Placing in the Marvin Ridge High School Maverick Invitational Speech and Debate Tournament were:
• Junior James Williams, who placed second in humorous interpretation and fifth in oral interpretation.
• Sophomore Emily Yue, who placed fourth in oral interpretation.
• Senior Lauren Calucag, who placed eighth in oral interpretation and second in impromptu duet acting with partner Brooke Carter, a senior.
• Freshman Beth Kingaby, who placed first in Declamation. Sophomore Alex Pope placed fourth and freshman Okan Pektas took fifth.
• Junior Taylor Barrett, who placed fifth in original oratory and eighth in impromptu speaking.
• Senior Catherine Bizub, who placed second in varsity student congress.
• The team of freshman Abhi Kulgod and junior Irfan Mekic, who took fifth place in novice public forum debate.
The team travels to Riverside High School in Greenville, S.C. for its next tournament Saturday, Oct. 29.