CORNELIUS – Students in the Hough High School Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) student organization won a number of awards in the club’s first competition Nov. 17.
Almost 1,000 Charlotte-Mecklenburg students – 115 from Hough – gathered at Myers Park High School for the District DECA Competition, and the Hough High chapter captured two second-place trophies, three finalist medals and 20 event medals.
Distributive Education Clubs form an international network of student organizations that prepare students for careers in marketing. To compete, students first take an extensive test on marketing, business and economic concepts and then participate in role-plays with volunteer judges, who are members of the business community.
The following Hough DECA members earned recognition at district competition:
• Second-place trophies: Craig Amasya and David Snedecor.
• Finalist medals: Craig Amasya, David Snedecor and Amelia Sechrest.
• Event medals: Craig Amasya, Troy Armstrong, Quinn Augustine, Aria Bremner, Haley Gonzales, Colleen Grunert, Olivia Jansen, Christopher Keller, Katherine Kennedy, Logan Mariner, Marnie Marritt, Matthew Norris, David Sargent, Amelia Sechrest, Courtney Sheets, Blake Sivick, David Snedecor, Jessica Weiner, Jasmine Williams and Haley Wolfe.
About 80 Hough students are eligible to the state DECA competition in February.
More from Hough: The orchestra performs during the Christmas in Davidson festival Friday, Dec. 3. … The school distributes progress reports Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 7 and 8.
• Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools: The deadline for the first magnet school lottery is Friday, Dec. 10. For more information, contact Student Placement at 980-343-5335 or email@example.com. … Schools are closed Dec. 22 to 31 for winter break.
• Bailey Middle: The Orchestra Boosters host a winter dance Dec. 17 at 6 p.m. in the cafetorium.
• Barnette Elementary: Students compete in a school-wide spelling bee Friday, Dec. 3, at 7:45 a.m. … Students with last names starting with A through K audition for the musical “The Aristocats” on Monday, Dec. 6, in the music room, and students with last names starting with L through Z audition Tuesday, Dec. 7. … The Parent-Teacher Association board meets Monday, Dec. 6, at 6 p.m. … Kindergarten, first- and second-grade students enjoy winter celebrations Dec. 20. … The school holds a Polar Express pajama day Dec. 21. … Third-, fourth- and fifth-grade students enjoy winter celebrations Dec. 21.
• Blythe Elementary: Third- through fifth-grade students compete in a spelling bee Thursday, Dec. 2 at noon. … The Parent-Teacher Association meets Dec. 9 at 6 p.m., with the third-grade holiday chorus performing at 6:30 p.m. … Third-, fourth- and fifth-graders enjoy a holiday luncheon Dec. 15. … Students in kindergarten through second grade enjoy holiday parties Dec. 17. … Students in third through fifth grade enjoy holiday parties Dec. 21.
• Cannon School: The middle-school band offers a concert in Taylor Hall on Thursday, Dec. 2, at 7 p.m. … The school’s music groups perform at Davidson United Methodist Church, on South Main Street in Davidson, during the town’s Christmas in Davidson festival Saturday, Dec. 4, as follows: Third-grade recorder ensemble, 4 to 4:30 p.m.; middle- and upper-school string ensembles, 5 to 6 p.m.; middle- and upper-school choirs, 6:30 to 7:15 p.m.; upper-school chamber wind ensemble, 7:15 to 7:30 p.m.; upper-school jazz bands, 8 to 9 p.m.
• The Children’s Schoolhouse: The school offers Parents Day Out child-care service from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 4. Interested parents must R.S.V.P. … The school holds an open house Dec. 11 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
• Cornelius Elementary: The Student Leadership Team meets Friday, Dec. 3, at 8 a.m. … The school distributes progress reports Tuesday, Dec. 7. … The Parent-Teacher Organization meets Dec. 9 at 6 p.m., and kindergartners and first-graders present their Winter Celebration performance at the end of the meeting.
• Corvian Community School: The school closes at 11:30 a.m. Dec. 17 for winter break. Classes resume Jan. 3.
• Davidson Day School: Kindergarten students showcase the sights, sounds and tastes of different winter holidays Dec. 11 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., including Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Diwali and Dong Zhi, as celebrated in places such as France, Africa, Israel, Mexico, Germany, Brazil and India. The event is free and open to the public. … Students in third through 12th grades perform “A Christmas Carol,” based on the novel by Charles Dickens, Dec. 9 through 11 at 7:30 p.m. and a 2 p.m. performance Dec. 11.
• Davidson Elementary: The school holds a holiday book fair the week of Dec. 6. … The Parent-Teacher Organization meets Dec. 16 at 6 p.m., followed by a holiday program.
• Davidson IB Middle: The Parent-Teacher-Student Association meets at 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 9, followed by a winter concert at 6:30 p.m. … The School Leadership Team meets Dec. 13 at 3 p.m. … The school offers a tour Dec. 16 at 10 a.m. … The school offers a drama production Dec. 16 at 6:30 p.m.
• Francis Bradley Middle: The School Leadership Team meets Thursday, Dec. 2, at 6:30 p.m. … The band performs a concert Monday, Dec. 6, at 6:30 p.m. in the gym. … The school distributes mid-quarter progress reports Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 7 and 8. … The orchestra performs a concert Tuesday, Dec. 7, at 6:30 p.m. in the gym. … The school offers two dance concerts: Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 8 and 9, at 6:30 p.m. in the gym. … The Parent-Teacher Association meets Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria. … The Parent-Teacher Association board meets Dec. 14 at 6:30 p.m. … Students participate in “Red and Green Day” Dec. 21.
• Grace Covenant Academy: The school holds an online book fair now through April. When books are purchased at the website www.booksforfunds.com using the school’s code, 46323, the school receives 20 percent of the price or a 40 percent book credit, which will be used to add books to the school library and purchase more Accelerated Reader tests.
• Hopewell High School: Students rehearse for “The Christmas Belle” Thursday and Friday, Dec. 2 and 3, and Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 6 and 7, at 2:30 p.m. in the auditorium. The performances run Wednesday, Dec. 8, to Dec. 11 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. … The orchestra performs a concert Dec. 10 at 7:30 p.m. … The Athletic Booster Club meets Dec. 13 at 7 a.m. … The school’s JROTC enjoys a Winter Ball beginning at 2:30 p.m. Dec. 17 in the school cafeteria.
• Huntersville Elementary: The Parent-Teacher Association meets Tuesday, Dec. 7, at 6 p.m. … Second-graders offer a holiday performance Tuesday, Dec. 7, at 6 p.m. … Moe’s Restaurant hosts Huntersville Elementary nights Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 8 and 9, from 5 to 8 p.m. A portion of the evenings’ proceeds will benefit the school. … The Parent-Teacher Association board meets Dec. 20 at 6:30 p.m. … The kindergarten, second and fourth grades enjoy winter celebrations Dec. 20. … The first, third and fifth grades enjoy winter celebrations Dec. 21.
• J.V. Washam Elementary: Principal Raymond Giovanelli invites parents to a coffee chat Wednesday, Dec. 8, at 7:45 a.m. in the cafeteria. … The school distributes second-quarter progress reports Wednesday, Dec. 8. … The second grade enjoys a holiday party Dec. 14. … The fourth and fifth grades enjoy holiday parties Dec. 15. …The third grade enjoys a holiday party Dec. 16. … The school hosts a barbecue dinner in the cafeteria Dec. 16 at 5 p.m. … The PTO meets Dec. 16 at 6:30 p.m. … Third- and fifth-grade students perform a holiday concert Dec. 16 at 7 p.m. in the gym. … The first grade enjoys a holiday party Dec. 17. … The kindergarten class enjoys a holiday party Dec. 20.
• Lake Norman Charter: Applications for the 2011-12 school year lottery are available at the middle and high school campuses, 12435 Old Statesville Road, as well as on the school’s website, www.lncs.org. The deadline to apply is Jan. 31.
• Lake Norman Christian: Students wear red, green and white shirts to school with jeans Dec. 17 for “Christmas Colors Day.” … The school closes at noon Dec. 17 for the winter holiday. Students return to class Jan. 4.
• Long Creek Elementary: The Parent-Teacher Association holds a general meeting Thursday, Dec. 2, at 6:30 p.m. … The school holds a holiday concert, featuring the second- and third-graders and the honors choir, Thursday, Dec. 2, at 6:30 p.m. … The school’s honors choir meets Wednesday, Dec. 8, and Dec. 15 at 7:30 a.m. … The school distributes progress reports Dec. 9. … The school’s Chess Club meets Friday, Dec. 3, and Dec. 10 and 17 at 7:30 a.m. … The school hosts holiday parties Dec. 21. Volunteers must be registered to attend.
• McKinney Academy: Students sing at the Christmas in Davidson festival Friday, Dec. 3, at 6 p.m.
• Pine Lake Preparatory: The school is now accepting online enrollment applications, at www.pinelakeprep.org.
• Ramah Christian Classical School: The school closes Dec. 22 for the winter holiday. Classes resume Jan. 4.
• St. Mark Catholic: The school holds its annual Carols in the Courtyard on Friday, Dec. 3. This year, the third-, fourth- and fifth-grade classes are the featured performers. … The school closes Wednesday, Dec. 8, to observe the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. … The school’s band performs Dec. 9 at Barnes and Noble Booksellers in Huntersville, and the choir performs Dec. 10. A portion of the sales on those days will benefit St. Mark.
• SouthLake Christian Academy: The first semester ends Dec. 17. The school closes Dec. 18 for the holiday, and classes resume Jan. 3.
• Torrence Creek Elementary: Students compete in a spelling bee Friday, Dec. 3, at 10 a.m. in the multipurpose room. … The school’s welcoming committee hosts a group tour Friday, Dec. 3, from 10 to 11 a.m. for prospective students and their parents. To sign up, contact the school at 980-343-0695. … The next All Pro Dad’s event, which includes breakfast and a 45-minute program, takes place Friday, Dec. 3, at 8 a.m. R.S.V.P. to firstname.lastname@example.org. … Barnes and Noble in Huntersville will donate a portion of proceeds from sales Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 6 and 7, to the school. … The first Winning Writers group meets Monday, Dec. 6, at 3:30 p.m. … The school distributes mid-quarter progress reports Tuesday, Dec. 7. … The student council meets Tuesday, Dec. 7, at 8:15 a.m. … The Parent-Teacher Association meets Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. in the multipurpose room, followed by a talent show. … Scheduled winter celebrations are second-graders, Dec. 14; third-graders Dec. 15; first-graders, Dec. 16; kindergartners, Dec. 17; fifth-graders, Dec. 20; and fourth-graders, Dec. 21.
• Woodlawn School: The school and Summit Coffee, on Main Street in Davidson, are co-sponsoring a canned-food drive during the Christmas in Davidson festival Thursday through Saturday, Dec. 2 through 4. Woodlawn School students and parents will collect canned goods and $1 donations for ham and turkey outside the coffee shop from 6 to 9 p.m. each night. They also collect during the North Mecklenburg Christmas Parade on Saturday. … The school hosts an admissions open house for prospective kindergarten students Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. in the lodge. Find directions on the website, www.woodlawnschool.org.
– Compiled by Christina Ritchie Rogers