New principal named for North Mecklenburg High School
HUNTERSVILLE – The school welcomed Principal Matthew Hayes on Monday, Nov. 22.
Hayes comes to North Meck from the School of International Studies and Global Economics at Olympic High School. He replaces former principal Joey Burch, who will transfer to Cato Middle College High School when he returns from leave.
In mid-November, school district administrators put North Meck’s interim Principal Mike Matthews and Assistant Principal Joyce Lockhart on paid administrative leave. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools officials have declined to say why the two were removed.
Media reports have said officials are investigating the handling of a 17-year-old student’s report that she was sexually assaulted on campus. Investigators are reportedly questioning why the school did not immediately call in Huntersville police to investigate.
• Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools: Schools are closed Wednesday through Friday, Nov. 24 through 26, for the Thanksgiving holiday.
• Barnette Elementary: Students compete in a school-wide spelling bee Dec. 3 at 7:45 a.m. … Students with last names starting with A through K audition for the musical The Aristocats Dec. 6 in the music room, and students with last names starting with L through Z audition Dec. 7. … The PTA board meets Dec. 6 at 6 p.m.
• Cannon School: The school is closed Wednesday through Friday, Nov. 24 through 26, for the Thanksgiving holiday.
• The Children’s Schoolhouse: The school is closed Wednesday, Nov. 24, for a teacher workday and Thursday and Friday, Nov. 25 and 26, for the Thanksgiving holiday. … The school offers a Parents Day Out babysitting day from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Dec. 4, a Saturday. Interested parents must R.S.V.P. … The school holds an open house Dec. 11 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
• Cornelius Elementary: The school sponsors a weeklong event, Teaching and Learning our Way to Higher Education, Monday, Nov. 29, through Dec. 3. The week is meant to encourage students to start thinking about setting goals early with an emphasis on education beyond high school. Staff and students will be wearing college attire all week. Guest speakers will make morning announcements and talk about their universities.
• Corvian Community School: The school dismisses early, at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 24, and is closed Thursday and Friday, Nov. 25 and 26, for the Thanksgiving holiday.
• Davidson Day School: Kindergarten students showcase the sights, sounds and tastes of different winter holidays Dec. 11 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., including Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Diwali and Dong Zhi, as celebrated in places such as France, Africa, Israel, Mexico, Germany, Brazil and India. The event is free and open to the public. … Students in third through 12th-grade perform “A Christmas Carol,” based on the novel by Charles Dickens, Dec. 9 through 11 at 7:30 p.m., including a matinee performance Dec. 11 at 2 p.m.
• Grace Covenant Academy: The school is closed through Nov. 26 for the Thanksgiving holiday … The school holds an online book fair now through April. When books are purchased at the website www.booksforfunds.com using the school’s code, 46323, the school receives 20 percent of the purchase amount in cash or a 40 percent book credit, which will be used to grow the school library and purchase more Accelerated Reader tests.
• Lake Norman Charter: Applications for the 2011-12 school year lottery are available at the middle and high school campuses, 12435 Old Statesville Road, as well as on the school’s website, www.lncs.org. The deadline for applying is Jan. 31.
• Lake Norman Christian: The school closes Wednesday through Friday, Nov. 24 through 26, for Thanksgiving break.
• Long Creek Elementary: The school’s honors choir meets Dec. 1, 8 and 15 at 7:30 a.m. … The PTA holds a general meeting Thursday, Dec. 2, at 6:30 p.m.. … The school holds a holiday concert Thursday, Dec. 2, at 6:30 p.m. … The school’s chess club meets Dec. 3, 10 and 17 at 7:30 a.m.
• McKinney Academy: Students sing at the Christmas in Davidson holiday event Dec. 3 at 6 p.m.
• Pine Lake Preparatory: The school is now accepting online enrollment applications, at www.pinelakeprep.org.
• Ramah Christian Classical School: The school closes Wednesday through Friday, Nov. 24 through 26, for the Thanksgiving holiday.
• Saint Mark Catholic: The eighth grade holds a bake sale during lunch Wednesday, Dec. 1. Proceeds benefit the eighth-grade teaching team. … The school’s annual Carols in the Courtyard will be held Dec. 3. This year, the third-, fourth- and fifth-grade classes are the featured performers. … The school closes Dec. 8 in observance of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. … The school’s band performs Dec. 9 and the choir performs Dec. 10 at Barnes and Noble Booksellers in Huntersville. A portion of the sales on those days will benefit Saint Mark. … Parents with questions regarding school activities should contact the school at 704-766-5000, read the Thursday Packet delivered via email or visit the website at www.stmark
• Torrence Creek Elementary: The school’s welcoming committee hosts a group tour Dec. 3 from 10 to 11 a.m. for prospective parents and students. To sign up, contact the school at 980-343-0695.
• Woodlawn School: The school closes Wednesday through Friday, Nov. 24 through 26, for the Thanksgiving holiday. … The school teams up with Summit Coffee, located on Main Street in Davidson, to sponsor a canned food drive during the town’s Christmas in Davidson holiday event, Dec. 2, 3 and 4. Woodlawn School students and parents will be collecting canned goods as well as $1 donations for ham and turkey outside Summit Coffee from 6 to 9 p.m. each night. Cans will also be collected during the Christmas in Davidson parade on Saturday. … The school hosts an admissions open house for prospective Kindergarten families Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. in the Lodge. Directions can be found on the website, www.woodlawnschool.org. Call 704-895-8653 with questions.
– Compiled by Christina Ritchie Rogers