Families must enroll by Dec. 10 to enter first magnet lottery
Families interested in magnet programs must enroll their children in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools by Dec. 10 in order for them to be eligible for the first magnet lottery.
New-student enrollment is for children entering kindergarten and older students who will be new to the school system. Students enrolled by Dec. 10 will receive a personalized lottery instruction sheet in the mail during the first week of January. Current students will bring instruction sheets home. The first magnet lottery runs from Jan. 7 to Feb. 7.
Families who plan to send their children to the assigned home school do not have to register by Dec. 10, but are encouraged to enroll as soon as possible.
Children must be five years old on or before Aug. 31, 2011, to be considered for kindergarten. Students must be four years old on or before Aug. 31, 2011, to be considered for pre-kindergarten. Families interested in the Montessori Pre-Kindergarten programs must also register by Dec. 10 to enter the first magnet lottery.
In order to enroll students, families are required to provide three documents to show proof of residency, along with other documents.
Documents for proof of residency:
• A copy of a lease and record of the most recent rent payment, or a record of the most recent mortgage payment.
• A utility bill dated within the past 30 days
• A valid driver’s license, vehicle tax bill or payroll stub. Visit the district’s website, www.cms.k12.nc.us, to see the complete list of acceptable documents.
• Parents also must fill out a Safe Schools Enrollment Declaration in accordance with N.C. law, stating whether the student has been suspended or expelled from any public or private school or convicted of a felony. The Safe Schools Enrollment document is available on the district’s website.
• Parents must also provide an official birth certificate (with seal) and a copy of the student’s current immunization record.
• New student-enrollment forms are available on the district’s website, at any school, Zone office, or the Family Application Center, 700 Marsh Road. For more information, call Student Placement at 980-343-5335 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to check out the schools?
Many magnet schools have scheduled open houses over the next few months. To see the open house schedule, visit www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/ci/MagnetPrograms/Pages/OpenHouseDates.aspx. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools also will hold a district magnet fair on Jan. 8, as well as three mini-fairs later that month.