CHARLOTTE – Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools has named Brad Baker, a 10th-grade civics and economics teacher at Hough High School, as a finalist for Teacher of the Year.
He began his teaching career in Gaston County and has been an educator since 2002.
Baker earned his bachelor’s degree in communications and marketing from Appalachian State University and a master’s degree in comprehensive social studies from UNC Charlotte.
Baker is a member of the Charlotte Teacher’s Institute.
The winner will be announced May 22.
Other finalists are as follows:
• Willie Brooks, James Martin Middle School;
• Deanna Chinault, Endhaven Elementary School;
• Darrell Potts, West Mecklenburg High;
• Lecia Shockley, Selwyn Elementary;
• Kristin Ward, West Charlotte High; and
• Emily Wegener, Albemarle Road Elementary.